Sunday, October 07, 2007

Term Four Begins

Thank you, Jenny, for holding the fort for me during my absence. I am back for the year after my term of absence in which I helped my mother with her diagnosis of Parkinson’s Disease. She is now in a rest home so I can leave her safely there and visit often. I have never in the past had any extended leave apart from caring for my sister as she passed away with breast cancer so found the experience to be an interesting one where I was able to take some time out and reflect a little. I am looking forward to getting back to work and receiving a pay packet again!

During these school holidays I also represented the Waimea-South ICT Cluster at the ULearn conference in Auckland. The conference was attended by 1200 teachers from all over New Zealand with international keynote speakers of renown. It was very humbling for me as many teachers sought me out to tell me what an inspiration our class blog and podcast was to them. I presented two workshops at the conference which were over-subscribed as demand was high. The conference focussed on the needs of 21st century learners- the sorts of skills children need for the future as we prepare them for jobs that haven’t been invented yet! I also attended five other workshops learning from educators who are leaders in their field- you may like to look at my education blog as I add my reflections on the conference as I have time to write them up.

http://allanahk.edublogs.org


The highlight of the term will be our class camp to the Abel Tasman National Park staying overnight in tents at Bethany Park Camp at Kaiteriteri and travelling out on the water taxi to Appletree Bay and tramping back to Marahau. I have booked the 3/4 December (Monday and Tuesday) so if you can join us on those days that would be really great. I have begun training for it already as I have had some problems with my knee while I have been on leave that required me to be on crutches for a time. More information on the camp soon.

We look forward to your classroom visits and support throughout the term as we head for Christmas!!! Call in any time for a chat and a catch up.

Miss K

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back Miss King!
I am sure our friends in Wales will enjoy looking at Mini Dylans exploits.
Dino's Mum